Background

Friday, January 27, 2012

Awesome Walgreens Deal on Tylenol Cold Medicine, Sudafed for Kids and $.50 Triaminic

I got all of the above medicine (plus lotion and candy) for essentially $5.38 plus tax!!!


Today at Walgreens I got all of the above and only paid $10.38 plus tax for 6 name-brand cold medicines, lotion and a piece of candy. Even better is that after I finished paying, I got back a $5 Register Reward that I can use on a future purchase at Walgreens. That reward can be redeemed at Harris Teeter, too!


Counting the $5 reward, it was like I paid $5.38 plus tax for all of that. For the record, I bought 2 bottles of Tylenol Cold and Flu Warming Relief, 1 bottle of Triaminic Cold and Cough Syrup for Kids, and 3 packages of 14-count Triaminic Thin Strips for Kids Night Time Cold and Cough. Note that I could also have purchased the Triaminic Pain and Fever Reducer but they were out. Not a problem, though, because I am already stocked up on that from the last sale a few weeks ago.


So how did I do it? I used coupons on everything, firstly. Some of the coupons came from the Sunday paper and others came right from the drug shelf at Walgreens itself. There are $2 off one Triaminic coupons sitting on the shelf in Walgreens near the products, so that was easy!

Walgreens is offering a special where you get a $5 Register Reward for buying 2 Triaminic Children's Medicines or 2 Tylenol Cold Medicines. There is no limit to how many times you can do this, as long as you don't buy the same medicines in a row. If you do, a new Register Reward won't print.


The medicines are on sale for 2 for $10. I bought two kids Triaminic medicines and used two coupons, each for $2 off, so my out of pocket was $6 plus tax. After I paid, I got back $5 in Register Rewards!


I then paid (in a second transaction) for the two bottles of Tylenol. They were 2 for $10. I had one $2 off coupon from the Sunday paper and one $1 off coupon that I had printed online (use my database above to search if you need some coupons). After my coupons, the total was down to $7. I bought a small piece of candy for $.39 because I wanted to use the $5 Regsiter Reward that I had just earned from the Triaminic. At Walgreens, you have to have at least one item for every coupon, so since I had two manufacturer coupons plus a register reward, I needed to buy a small filler item. After coupons and the Register Reward,  my out of pocket total came to $2 plus tax! I paid, and received another Register Reward for $5!


I then did my third and final transaction. I bought two more Triaminic medicines just like the first transaction, 2 for $10, and used the 2 $2 off coupons.  I redeemed my $5 Register Reward from the Tylenol and paid a total of $10-$4 in coupons-$5 in Register Rewards= $1.00. I also bought some lotion for my purse for $.99. Total was 1.99 plus tax AND I got back a $5 Register Reward!


A couple of notes- I nor anyone in my family is sick right now. But, when we do get sick we will certainly be prepared! I always say you should buy medicines before you get sick because getting a good deal will be the last thing on your mind if you are sick and looking for medicine in the drugstore.


Also, be sure to check the expiration dates. I stocked up on Traiminic Kids Pain and Fever reducer a few weeks ago that unfortunately expire in May. Everything I bought today, however, doesn't expire until mid-2013.


One final note- the store brand equivalents of these same medicines would have cost me $5.49 each, for a grand total of $32.94 plus tax! Consider that I paid less than $5 plus tax for name brands. Just another example of how it pays to use coupons!

1 comment: